Friday, August 26, 2011

5 Books I've enjoyed Lately

1. The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger. This book was one of the more fascinating books I've read lately. The fact that it explored the truthful young lifestyle of a boy around my age made it a piece that was very hard to put down.

2. Mind Gym: An Athlete's Guide to Inner Excellence by Gary Mack with David Casstevens. This book I reccomend to any athlete or sports fan. Sometimes sports books can turn into stat sheets about an athlete's career but this book turned out to be a great read that actually explores the inside of an athlete's mind when they are in training or performance.

3. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows by J.K. Rowling. I have to include HP on here just because I'm a fan and I thoroughly enjoyed the series. I thought the last book was a great way to cap it off. I actually read  "Deathly Hollows" a week before the film premiered this summer; perfect timing. I enjoyed the book more than the movie by the way.

4. Atonement by Ian McEwan. Although I'm not a romance person, Atonement captured my attention from the start. It was a required read for my English class, but I ended up really enjoying it. McEwan's writing style is captivating and was very interesting for me to read from an American's perspective.

5. The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown. I read this book last spring as a pleasure read and I thought it was a very entertaining novel. This is right down my ally because it is a mystery-detective story (if you read my last blog). Although there is not really a strong literary view in it, the history in this novel is very intriguing.

1 comment:

  1. The field of performance psychology is a fascinating one, that started with a book called The Inner Game of Tennis about 30 years ago. And a lot of good stuff about the importance of the mind in sports has been written since then. I'm glad you discovered a good one.

    ReplyDelete